Monday, January 16, 2017

Jo Staff

Today was the first time since the boys arrived that we worked on our individual weapons in P&E.

It was nice to get some insight on my knife work. I have been practicing, I always do. It's so relaxing.

It was also the first time many of the girls had seen the boys' weapons.

Some people fell into little groups, working with similar weapons. Sometimes we would be paired up to try something like, Double Knives Vs Katana, you know. Just in case.

It's just our grade working in the barn right now. Once a month all the grades get together to practice. That's fun, because if you are one of the more skilled students ( I am) you get bumped up a grade. So I would get to fight with the Juniors.

The R/D students have to come to P&E classes, though after the Sophomore year they can decided to come every other practice. Which is kind of sad, because soon Lily won't be training with us. She already splits up every afternoon when Jess and I go to Cov-ops studies. *Sigh*

Anyway, I was watching Jess and David shooting longbows together over at the archery station, while I was taking a breather from fighting D'aja and her nunchucks (honestly girl. Calm down.)  when Ms. Hancock asked " Katherine? Are you ready for another round? I'm thinking of pairing you up against a Jo Staff. There is an interesting move I'd like to show you."

So I turned around and there was Alec with a giant stick.
"K" I said, elegantly, I fixed my pony tail, took a sip of water and stepped onto one of the training mats.
"Ok, Katherine, Alec. I want you to just start, and fight instinctively... Then we'll work on different moves later. "

We both nodded. I could see other students stopping their work to watch. Ms Hancock noticed too and told them to go back to work, but they started watching again as soon as she turned her back.

Ms Hancock looked back and forth, making sure we were both ready.

Alec stood at one end of the mat, relaxed, holding his Jo staff. I stood at the other end, arms crossed, weight leaned on one leg.

Alec shifted uncomfortably. "Does Kat have a weapon or is she fighting me hand to staff" he asked Ms Hancock.

I realized he hadn't seen my daggers, which I kept sheathed in each boot, and smirked. "I'll be fine!" I said. "Let us begin"

He shrugged and swung and experimental blow at me from the side. He was trying to figure out how I was going to fight. I ducked under it, dropping into a crouch. In one fluid movement, Alec changed direction and swung a blow from above.  Quick as a cat (pun intended)  I  pulled my daggers out of my boots and formed them into a X above my head, bracing myself for the blow just as it hit.

He was very surprised for a moment and in the moment, I stood, moving the Jo Staff to one side and kicked out at his gut in a sidekick.

He dodged back and pulled his Jo Staff with him.

He took another step back and nodded once.

"Interesting" He quipped.

Then he sprang back into the fight and we fought, daggers and staff flashing back and forth, quick as light.

I felt myself getting tired. I could see he was slowly too, but not as quickly as I was.

One of the daggers slipped from my sweaty hand. Drat.

I decided on a last ditch effort move. I ducked under his Jo Staff, switching from leaning back from out of the staff's reach, slide under his legs, jumped up.

He was tried too and it took him longer to react. He started to spin around, but I was already behind him with my daggers at his throat.

"Time" Ms Hancock called. I took the daggers from his throat and stepped back. He wiped his sweaty hands on his pants and held it out to me. "You surprised me" I wiped mine off and shook his hands.
"It won't work twice. Good fight, by the way."

Everyone went back to work, and Alec and I sat on one of the mats and listened to Ms. Hancock while we cooled down. When we did start up again, we just worked together, learning the moves in slow motion, and ingraining them into our memory.

Do you want to know what a Jo Staff is?

This:

-K



No comments:

Post a Comment